Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 1: Smolensk

It was a little after noontime when our train pulled into the Smolensk train station.  Tony Carruthers, the wonderful Englishman who organized the search for my family in Russia, arranged for his nephew to pick me up from the train station.  I got off the train station and Pavel was there waiting for me.  He met my mom and the two of us began to walk from the train car.  Seconds later I spotted my grandfather, then my baba, Uncle, etc all waiting for me.  I dropped my suitcase and walked toward all of them and starting hugging and kissing my family members.  I can't really describe it, but it was a warm welcoming.  Before you know it, I was pulled into a car by my grandfather and baba.  I wasn't really told where I was going, but my mom got in the other car and I was with my grandparents riding through Smolensk.  My grandfather drives crazy and speeds like no one I have ever met.  They told me no need to wear seat belts because, it is  Russia.  I got a good laugh from that.  I ended up at the hotel we were staying at and my mom and I checked in.  My grandparents had to leave for work, but my Uncle and cousin Sofia stayed with us.  We ended up getting a walking tour of Smolensk with them.  After our short work, we went to a very nice restaurant where the entire family came to meet us for dinner.  It  was so incredible just sitting there.  It was almost like nothing happened, that I was there with my mom and extended family having a meal talking about sports, weather, my life, their lives, etc.  The food was amazing and my Uncle Sasha kept pushing beer in me.  It was pretty damn good, if I say so myself.  The first dinner ended up being 5 hours long..  Wow is right.  

More to come - I know I am behind but bare with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment